- Arts & Culture
I’ve been haunted by a faint hum, an electric touch, and would like talk about the Sixth Sense. In medical terms, the Sixth Sense could be Proprioception, the ability for our bodies to locate themselves in space. It is an intuition, an innate knowledge. It’s deeply rooted in our sense of right or wrong.
We’ll turn to the British Columbia artist, filmmaker, and poet Ellie Epp, whose 1996 film Bright & Dark will be our guiding light as we work through notions of feeling, improvisation, chance, and preparation. We’ll also turn to Fred Moten, and his writing on Cecil Taylor’s Chinampas, and to Divided Publishing’ new publication, Stage of Recovery by the artist and activist Georgia Sagri.
- As always, thanks to Roger 3000 for providing Something Like’s jingle
- The music behind my voice today is Monsieur de Saint Colombe’s Works for 2 Bass Viols, by Voix Humaines
- You can read about Ellie Epp’s work on her website and in this PDF of Mike Hoolboom’s book on her work. Thank you to Ellie for your generous spirit and for sharing your work with us, and thank you to Adrienne Herr for the universal synchronicity of her attentions by bringing Ellie to us!
- You can find Fred Moten’s Sound in Florescence: Cecil Taylor’s Floating Garden (first published in Sound States, edited by Adalaide Morris, University of North Carolina Press, 1997) here on Ubuweb.
- Pick up Georgia Sagri’s Stage of Recovery here.
PlaylistJeanne Lee, Sundance, Conspiracy, 1975
Ellie Epp, Bright & Dark (description read by Bitsy), 1996
Lee Roetman, Life is a Changing Composition Flow , Peace and Love from Lee, 1971
Carman Moore, Improvisation, Personal Problems, 2020
Infinity Knives, Sway Me, Sway Me Into the Arms of the Lord, Dear Sudan, 2020
Bjork, Sweet Sweet Intuition, Post, 1995
Sue Tompkins, Ruin, 2017
Oakland Elementary School Arkestra, Butter, Big Instruments, Little Musicians, 1994
Cecil Taylor, 5’04, Chinampas, 1987
CC Hennix, Blues Alif Mim in the Modes of Rag Infinity, "Live at Issue Project Room", 2016
David Rosenboom & Peggie Sampson, The Seduction of Sapientia (excerpt), The Contemporary Viola di Gamba, 1973-74
Maria Chavez, The Language of Chance #1, Live at Le Guess Who, 2018
Celia Hollander, You Have 3 New Telepathic Messages, Recent Futures, 2020
Rachika Nayar, New Strands, Our Hands Against the Dusk, 2021
Seigén Ono, Model-93, Seigen, 1984
Georgia Sagri, Performance Study Group in Zurich (excerpt read by Bitsy), Stage of Recovery, 2021
YOM, Celebration, Celebration, 2021
Brother Ah, Spirits in the Night, Move Ever Onward, 1975 (reissued in 2016)
Piero Umiliani, Isola di Sogno, La Consolazione Della Pietra, 1967
Lafawndah, The Stillness, The Fifth Season, 2020
Andy Bey, I Know This Love Can’t Be Wrong, Experience & Judgement, 1973
Ellie Epp, Ready (read by Bitsy)